site hit counter

[BHX]≡ Libro Gratis The Reluctant Queen 9780816128372 Books

The Reluctant Queen 9780816128372 Books



Download As PDF : The Reluctant Queen 9780816128372 Books

Download PDF The Reluctant Queen 9780816128372 Books


The Reluctant Queen 9780816128372 Books

Many history lovers are familiar with the general story of Richard III, but less so with his queen consort, Anne Neville. As their lives are quite intertwined from the beginning, this story really follows the two of them from early childhood through their adulthood, marriage, and beyond.

The book talks a lot about the political climate during this time in British history - we cover threats from the Lancastrians, to the York reign, back to plots against the Yorkists from a variety of individuals. It's a wonder that Richard was even able to hold onto the throne for as long as he was, given the fact that his beloved brother, Edward IV, had so many problems despite his popularity.

History does not remember Richard III fondly, there is quite a bit of mystery surrounding how he came to the throne and what really happened to the York princes in the tower. While Plaidy doesn't solve that mystery for us, she does a great job of painting Richard in a more sympathetic light, and gives a more plausible explanation for the events that occur during the time he ascended to the throne.

Like many young women in the same timeframe, Anne is largely a victim of whatever the men in her life want her to do. Plaidy does a great job of showing how Anne likely did her best to deal with the situations at hand. I especially liked that Margaret of Anjou was softened up a bit, with a hesitant friendship between her and Anne during the time they spend together.

I'm a huge fan of Jean Plaidy as a writer, I consider her to be one of the best historical fiction authors out there, and this book exemplifies why I believe this. She is excellent at telling the "other side" of the story, and I'll never look at Richard III in the same way again.

Read The Reluctant Queen 9780816128372 Books

Tags : The Reluctant Queen on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers.,The Reluctant Queen,MacMillan Publishing Company,0816128375

The Reluctant Queen 9780816128372 Books Reviews


I've read lots of Jean Plaidy and several novels about Anne Neville. This is probably my least favorite Plaidy book & Anne Neville story. I usually read Plaidy's works quickly, never want to put them down. This was not the case with The Reluctant Queen. If you're wanting a fresh interpretation of Anne Neville, try a historical novel published more recently. I gave it three stars because I enjoyed the read, have no regrets reading it; just didn't enjoy it as much as others from the same genre and/or author. Richard is not villanized, which I liked. But Anne didn't come to life for me in Plaidy's story.
This is the story of the wife of Richard III of England. Although he is often cast as a villain in history, in this book he is more tragic, misguided, but well intentioned than anything else. Anne and Richard fell in love as children, and due to a series of strange circumstances, are able to marry. However, when Richard unexpectedly comes into power, the happy life the couple built for themselves is thrown into disarray and they find that positions of power are perhaps not all they are cracked up to be.

Quote "My thoughts were all for Richard and soem time later I was to hear the truth of all this from his lips. Then I learned how near he had come to failure; and had thigns gone against him at this time our lives might have turned otu to be entirely different."

This is a pretty good historical novel - even though the princes in the tower are only vaguely referenced toward the end of the work, enough evidence is presented throughout the narrative that the reader is presented with a large number of people who could be responsible for the deaths of the heirs to the English throne. Richard III is the last monarch from the house of York, and the events before and after his death lead to the famous Tudors coming into power, and many were working for this possibility. Overall I found it to be very balanced - Richard is neither a monster, nor a saint, just a basically decent guy who is altered by power.
Sweet and good natured Anne Neville was extraordinary woman. As documented she truly was vegetarian. A woman born centuries before before her time. She was born during the height of the bitter rival of family house feuds known as the War of the Roses. Her father had had the power to influence many key players in the war including kings of England. Anne was House of York, daughter of the Earl of Warwick the known king maker. In the end of the war her father changed his allegiance after the new king Edward VI married Elizabeth Woodville in secret and he sided with the enemy. Betrothing his daughter Anne to the much despised heir of the Lancasterian French Queen Margaret and King Henry IV, Edward of Westminster.

Anne was thrust into Margaret's care as betrothed to her son being her future daughter in law. Her father Warwick intended to replace Edward VI with Anne's newly betrothed. As I have come to conclude about this time period is that all the events that happened were because nothing went ever according to plan and too many people died before they finished their plotting and scheming. Leaving many needy messes that need resolution. I had always been interested in the story of how Anne of York was hidden from Richard as a servant girl in a cook house. Many other books I have read have made reference to the story as a dramatic love story to which young girls day dream about. When Richard storms the cook shop to swoop in and save her it was the high point of the whole book.

Jean put a logically interesting spin on a fragmented true story of love conquering all, including your own family who can do the most harm. In the end I find myself left feeling a mix of feelings. The whole book was very detailed about the politics's of court. I feel disappointed that the book trailed of into Richard's rein. Anne faded into the background and events were missed or never even touched upon that I had kind of expected to be there. It was a short good read but I am left with unresolved feelings. Maybe I have it wrong and it belongs in a series but I am starting to notice a trend of that with books set during the war of he roses.
Many history lovers are familiar with the general story of Richard III, but less so with his queen consort, Anne Neville. As their lives are quite intertwined from the beginning, this story really follows the two of them from early childhood through their adulthood, marriage, and beyond.

The book talks a lot about the political climate during this time in British history - we cover threats from the Lancastrians, to the York reign, back to plots against the Yorkists from a variety of individuals. It's a wonder that Richard was even able to hold onto the throne for as long as he was, given the fact that his beloved brother, Edward IV, had so many problems despite his popularity.

History does not remember Richard III fondly, there is quite a bit of mystery surrounding how he came to the throne and what really happened to the York princes in the tower. While Plaidy doesn't solve that mystery for us, she does a great job of painting Richard in a more sympathetic light, and gives a more plausible explanation for the events that occur during the time he ascended to the throne.

Like many young women in the same timeframe, Anne is largely a victim of whatever the men in her life want her to do. Plaidy does a great job of showing how Anne likely did her best to deal with the situations at hand. I especially liked that Margaret of Anjou was softened up a bit, with a hesitant friendship between her and Anne during the time they spend together.

I'm a huge fan of Jean Plaidy as a writer, I consider her to be one of the best historical fiction authors out there, and this book exemplifies why I believe this. She is excellent at telling the "other side" of the story, and I'll never look at Richard III in the same way again.
Ebook PDF The Reluctant Queen 9780816128372 Books

0 Response to "[BHX]≡ Libro Gratis The Reluctant Queen 9780816128372 Books"

Post a Comment