The Seekers Kent Family Chronicles John Jakes Books

The Seekers Kent Family Chronicles John Jakes Books
Why haven't I found this author before? I missed out. I am now compelled to read the whole series.This novel, about Boston's prestigious Kent family, was not only historically accurate but insightful, and imaginative as well. There are several strong lead characters as this novel begins right after the Revolution, and ends in about 1814. Each of these strong characters are believable, as along with their strength comes the fear that their own often deep flaws will be their downfall.
Jared's father fought the Battle of Fallen Timbers before returning to Boston where he was expected to take over his fathers printing house. Instead, he and his new wife rebelled. Willing to give up wealth and comfort, they voyage to land along the Ohio River. What they soon discovered was the amount of work and money it took to survive.
Jared fears he will become like his father. Time and again he proves his strength, wit, and endurance...still, he is haunted by those fears.
Amanda, Jared's little cousin, thinks Jared hung the moon. She is sweet, smart, and knows nothing but a comfortable life.
What will happen to these two youngsters when the challenges they face become astronomical? Read to find out.

Tags : Amazon.com: The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles) (9780451212498): John Jakes: Books,John Jakes,The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles),Berkley,0451212495,Historical,Epic fiction,Frontier and pioneer life - United States,Historical fiction,Historical fiction.,Kent family (Fictitious characters),Kent family (Fictitious characters);Fiction.,United States;History;1849-1877;Fiction.,1849-1877,FICTION Family Life General,FICTION Historical General,FICTION Romance Historical General,FICTION Westerns,Fiction,Fiction - Western,Fiction-Historical,General Adult,History,MASS MARKET,United States,Westerns - General,western;romance;historical romance;westerns;romance books;romance novels;cowboy;love;western books;family;western fiction;western novels;historical fiction;fiction;novels;fiction books;books fiction;realistic fiction books;historical romance books;western book;westerns books;civil war;historical;cowboys;pirates;american revolution;adventure;american civil war;saga;drama;american history;historical fiction books;war;native americans;mystery;military;historical fiction novels;horses,historical fiction; historical; american history; civil war; historical romance; saga; romance; family saga; native american; native americans; war; adventure; westerns; western books; western; american west; american revolution; 19th century; 18th century; family; romance novels; fiction; fiction books; romance books; western novels; historical romance books; westerns books; pirates; cowboys; drama; war of 1812; american civil war; classic; thomas jefferson; western romance; biography; american literature; historical fiction books,FICTION Family Life General,FICTION Historical General,FICTION Romance Historical General,FICTION Westerns,Westerns - General,Fiction - Western,1849-1877,History,United States,Fiction
The Seekers Kent Family Chronicles John Jakes Books Reviews
I enjoyed this story. I had the audio copy. The reader had good changes in his voices to separate the charactors. This is the first Kent family saga story I've read. ( I believe it was the third installment). The ending kind of leaves you hanging but it does make you want to get the next installment. A warning for readers... It does get a bit graphic at times with one very disturbing incident involving a rape. Other than that I do recommend the book
This series is so excellent it is the 2nd time I reading it. I read it back in the 80s and loved it. John Jakes is a wonderful writer and makes you feel as if you are there as you read about all the experiences. I would highly recommend this series to anyone who is a history buff - in fact, it will make you into a history buff!
In this third installment of the Kent Family Chronicles, a lot of family ground is covered. We see the end of the life of the patriarch, Phillip Kent, the lives of sons Gilbert and Abraham, Abraham's son Jared, and Gilbert's daughter Amanda. Nobody does as Phillip wants (although Gilbert comes close), but they each try to find their niche in the world of early America and each seems to be drawn away from success.Seems the west is the magnet that pulls on the Kents.
I have read all the way half way through the Lawless. The poor Kents' Lesser people would have blown their brains out. Constant physical and mental hardships about everything tend to make one depressed. The historical parts are enlightening and have indeed made me aware of many facets of the history of this country. I like the introduction of real historical characters into lives of the Kents. However,I hope somewhere along the way there is redemption for all of the physical and mental hardships that this family has endured.
I've loved all the Jakes Kent books so far especially in the aspect of his presenting people who's lives change drastically through their lifetime. This book had some of that but I'm just not that into war scenes or military battles. The Alamo and Civil War battles seemed to drag on for someone like me who would rather get on with the story. Of course for those who enjoy the military I think you'd give this a 4-5 star rating. I also wish he had gone a little more into the politics of all the other issues besides slavery that caused the civil war. He touched on it a little but I'd rather have read that than about a battlefield. Altogether though it was a decent saga.
The Kent family continue their struggles in the new country and seem destined to always find the most difficult situations.
I like it that the author doesn't always make life easy as he winds his characters through actual events. It does seem that at times though he includes actual characters along side his fictional ones more for the sake of drama than of the story of the main characters. But that is way historical fiction is.
This book grabs you and never lets you go. This timeless classic teaches you American history in a personal way through good people and villains you will never forget. The details remind you that regardless of what horrors you hear on the nightly TV news, we really don't have it so bad compared to people living in the 1800s. As I've said before, all 8 books in this John Jakes' series should be required reading in every American history class in high school in this country. Though first published almost 40 years ago, the characters still embody familiar hopes, dreams, and goals... And are so mesmerizing, you feel as if you know them.
By Nancy Anne
Why haven't I found this author before? I missed out. I am now compelled to read the whole series.
This novel, about Boston's prestigious Kent family, was not only historically accurate but insightful, and imaginative as well. There are several strong lead characters as this novel begins right after the Revolution, and ends in about 1814. Each of these strong characters are believable, as along with their strength comes the fear that their own often deep flaws will be their downfall.
Jared's father fought the Battle of Fallen Timbers before returning to Boston where he was expected to take over his fathers printing house. Instead, he and his new wife rebelled. Willing to give up wealth and comfort, they voyage to land along the Ohio River. What they soon discovered was the amount of work and money it took to survive.
Jared fears he will become like his father. Time and again he proves his strength, wit, and endurance...still, he is haunted by those fears.
Amanda, Jared's little cousin, thinks Jared hung the moon. She is sweet, smart, and knows nothing but a comfortable life.
What will happen to these two youngsters when the challenges they face become astronomical? Read to find out.

0 Response to "∎ Download Free The Seekers Kent Family Chronicles John Jakes Books"
Post a Comment