The Turncoat Renegades of the American Revolution Donna Thorland 9780451415394 Books

The Turncoat Renegades of the American Revolution Donna Thorland 9780451415394 Books
I was torn about this book because it really is a well-written historical fiction centered around a time period I enjoy reading about. The images are vivid and the characters well-developed and interesting enough that you'll either love them or despise them. The reason why this book wasn't my cup of tea was the strong focus on sex and rape. Yes, I knew there would be some in the story, but I didn't expect it to be such a prominent element of the book. Normally these two components don't bother me when written in moderation, especially because I read a lot of historical fiction and brutality is often a key component, but for some reason this one did bother me--some of it seemed unnecessary, but please keep in mind that it's only my opinion. If sex is going to be written into a story, I would expect passion and a connection between the two characters--this just seemed like sex to fill pages.I found the hero and heroine to be interesting enough to capture my attention, and I wanted to know what was going to happen between them. Kate is intelligent and spirited--two traits I always admire in a heroine which made her the most interesting character for me. The events were vivid enough that I felt I was right there at the Grey Farm or rubbing elbows with generals, and even watching the horrors of the war from a distance. On that note, I will say the author did a great job. This is not a light airy romance, but it is deep, strong, and filled with forgiveness. I'm donating my copy to the local library because there's no one else in my house who would enjoy a book with this subject matter, nor would I read it again as I often do books. Having said that, I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy historical fiction.

Tags : The Turncoat: Renegades of the American Revolution [Donna Thorland] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. They are lovers on opposite sides of a brutal war, with everything at stake and no possibility of retreat. They can trust no one—especially not each other. Major Lord Peter Tremayne is the last man rebel bluestocking Kate Grey should fall in love with,Donna Thorland,The Turncoat: Renegades of the American Revolution,Berkley,0451415396,Historical,Historical fiction.,Love stories,Love stories.,Philadelphia (Pa.) - History - Revolution, 1775-1783,Philadelphia (Pa.);History;Revolution, 1775-1783;Fiction.,Spy stories,FICTION Historical General,FICTION Literary,FICTION Romance Historical General,Fiction,Fiction - Historical,Fiction-Historical,GENERAL,General Adult,Historical - General,Historical fiction,History,Philadelphia (Pa.),Revolution, 1775-1783,romance;historical;historical romance;alternate history;historical fiction books;romance novels;historical fiction novels;romance books;love;literary fiction;historical fiction;fiction;novels;fiction books;historical novels;literature;books fiction;realistic fiction books;books historical fiction;historical romance books;england;american revolution;elizabeth i;napoleonic wars;french revolution;espionage;mystery;tudors;drama;royalty;pirates;spy;saga;victorian;adventure;war;marriage;civil war,american revolution; historical fiction; romance; war; espionage; historical romance; historical; wwii; saga; women's fiction; napoleonic wars; family; historical fiction books; literary fiction; civil war; relationship books; relationships; marriage; drama; royalty; 19th century; love story; historical romance books; historical fiction novels; romance novels; fiction; fiction books; romance books; literature; england; mystery; pirates; tudors; love; 18th century; tudor; victorian; adventure; elizabeth i; romantic; french revolution,Historical fiction
The Turncoat Renegades of the American Revolution Donna Thorland 9780451415394 Books Reviews
This book is for anyone who loves a cracking good story. Ms. Thorland does a masterful job of weaving well written fiction and gripping history into a taut, tension-filled, based-on-fact tale of espionage during the American Revolution. Females spies were used on both sides of that conflict but with spectacular effect by the Americans.
For me this ranks right up there with Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series with it's excellent historical research, attention to detail and characters you come to care about. Descriptions of the book play up the romantic element to the story, but for me that mostly served to anchor the narrative and raise the stakes for all the characters, so don't be put off by that. Real figures of history interact with the fictional characters in believable ways just as the real events of the period are the backdrop for the action of the story. Kate Gray, the heroine, is based upon a Quaker woman, Lydia Barrington Darragh, who risked her life to get word to Washington on an impending British attack. It was her efforts that enabled the Americans to prevail and ultimately led to Howe's abandoning Philadelphia.
Be advised, there is substantial violence, including sexual assault, in this book and much of it is directed toward women. It's been a while since I read a book that had me so tense I had to put it down for a while but that tension lasted almost until the very last page. The tension may have been uncomfortable at times, but it was oh, so worth it.
The Turncoat was BRILLIANT.
The prose was clean, clever, and enchanting. The plot was, again, clever, and fascinating. I'm a hardcore history junkie, particularly for the American Revolution. The author seamlessly wove fiction with fact, leaving me stunned, thrilled, and, honestly, sad that so much of this time and people will always be unknown.
The Turncoat isn't exactly a romance, though it does have a strong romantic story within. There is even -GASP- a bit of a love triangle, though it's more of a romantic entanglement of necessity. If you let the thought of a triangle scare you away, you're missing the point of the story, and going to miss out on a hell of a book.
What The Turncoat is, in addition to being a love story in the time of war and deception, is a testament to the women who fought the Revolution behind the scenes. They are the unsung heroes, and I believe the war would not have been won without them. The Turncoat is an epic page-turner, a spy thriller that will leave you breathless until the very last page.
Donna Thorland has won herself a new devotee.
First of all, I am not going to discuss the story or the plot lines of this book as so many reviewers have already done. I think to feel the full emotional force of this extraordinary historical fiction is to approach it unfettered by knowledge of events in the story. I will only say that I loved the characters of Peter Tremayne, a British officer and aristocrat and his love, Kate Grey, an American Quaker in the midst of revolution in the colonies. These two will find themselves on opposite sides with page turning events throughout most of this novel. Wonderful and exciting read. Worth more than 5 stars!
I was torn about this book because it really is a well-written historical fiction centered around a time period I enjoy reading about. The images are vivid and the characters well-developed and interesting enough that you'll either love them or despise them. The reason why this book wasn't my cup of tea was the strong focus on sex and rape. Yes, I knew there would be some in the story, but I didn't expect it to be such a prominent element of the book. Normally these two components don't bother me when written in moderation, especially because I read a lot of historical fiction and brutality is often a key component, but for some reason this one did bother me--some of it seemed unnecessary, but please keep in mind that it's only my opinion. If sex is going to be written into a story, I would expect passion and a connection between the two characters--this just seemed like sex to fill pages.
I found the hero and heroine to be interesting enough to capture my attention, and I wanted to know what was going to happen between them. Kate is intelligent and spirited--two traits I always admire in a heroine which made her the most interesting character for me. The events were vivid enough that I felt I was right there at the Grey Farm or rubbing elbows with generals, and even watching the horrors of the war from a distance. On that note, I will say the author did a great job. This is not a light airy romance, but it is deep, strong, and filled with forgiveness. I'm donating my copy to the local library because there's no one else in my house who would enjoy a book with this subject matter, nor would I read it again as I often do books. Having said that, I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy historical fiction.

0 Response to "∎ Read The Turncoat Renegades of the American Revolution Donna Thorland 9780451415394 Books"
Post a Comment